The TV, radio, social media and other outlets are constantly streaming information, but unfortunately, it’s not always the most accurate. In fact, sometimes sources that have no business sharing information are doing so – and in many cases they don’t bother with facts. The problem: You might be absorbing incorrect information, especially about immigration and immigration law, without even realizing it.
While it’s not easy to find a free immigration lawyer who won’t charge you to represent you in court, file your paperwork or handle other legal matters for you, you can easily get free advice from an immigration attorney – and the good ones aren’t afraid to hand it out.
Why You Should Take Advantage of Free Advice From an Immigration Lawyer
Immigration law changes fairly frequently, and if you’re not an immigration attorney (whose job it is to understand the laws and keep up with even the most minor changes), you might be making decisions about your future using old, outdated or just plain incorrect information.
To make matters even more confusing, information is still evolving about:
- Texas SB4, which deals with undocumented immigrants and so-called sanctuary cities in the Lone Star State
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, and the long-term status of DREAMers
- Detention and deportation at the border
That’s not even a complete list. Officials in Washington and in the state of Texas are still debating numerous immigration issues. In some cases, there’s no debate – like when a spending bill passes in Congress that someone has slipped an immigration issue into just to get it to pass.
When you’re looking for advice from an attorney, make sure the lawyer you’re talking to is certified by the Texas Bar Association (or, if you’re in another state, your state’s bar association).
How to Get Free Immigration Advice From a Lawyer (Even if Not a Free Immigration Lawyer)
There are several ways to get free advice from an immigration attorney, including:
- Checking out immigration law blogs
- Calling or emailing an attorney for a free, 30-minute consultation
Visit a Lawyer’s Immigration Law Blog
You can count on advice that comes directly from a law firm’s blog, provided that you’re reading the most current posts and pages. Many Miami immigration attorneys have blogs, and they’re packed with amazing information you can use to work on your own case or learn more about the processes and procedures you’ll have to go through when you apply for a visa or a green card. (Naturally, we recommend our blog, but we’re not greedy – we just want you to find the help you need.)
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Immigration Attorney
Sometimes you have a very specific question about your own case, or you’re not quite sure how to proceed with what you’ve been working on. Perhaps you’re dealing with something complicated, like business immigration, or maybe you’re facing removal proceedings and you desperately need legal advice.
In cases like those, it’s important to call an immigration lawyer and take advantage of a firm’s free consultation option. You can get the answers you need with no obligation to begin working with the attorney you talked to – and that can be tremendously valuable.
When you meet with an immigration attorney, or when you get a free phone consultation, you will be able to:
- Explain your circumstances and show the lawyer documents that are relevant to your case.
- Ask about his or her experience and qualifications, in case you need to retain a lawyer in this case or in the future.
- Ask the lawyer to review your entire situation and offer you legal advice you can use right now.
If you decide to proceed with the lawyer you’ve consulted with, you already have a head start – he or she is basically familiar with your case, and you’ve already collected all the documents your attorney will need.
What to Ask at a Free Consultation With an Immigration Lawyer
When you have a free consultation with an immigration lawyer, it’s important that you know what to expect – and what to ask.
First things first: The lawyer you meet with will have some questions for you, and he or she might need to see documentation that helps support your case. Bring copies of all relevant documents with you to your consultation so you can explain your situation thoroughly – and so your lawyer can determine what’s missing, what needs to be changed or modified, and what you can do to ensure the success of your case.
So what should you ask an immigration attorney when you meet face-to-face or over the phone? Use this list to get you started:
- Do you practice other types of law, or do you only focus solely on immigration? While it’s okay to work with an attorney who practices other types of law, such as criminal law or divorce, it’s often more advantageous to work with a lawyer who zeros in on immigration issues. Immigration is a fast-moving field, and a lawyer who only focuses on that is generally more capable of keeping up with all the changes.
- Do you have a lot of experience with cases like mine? Although it’s not everything, experience matters. When a lawyer has helped other people through situations similar to yours, you can be confident in his or her ability to help you, too.
- What will you do to help me? After your attorney has time to review your case, find out how he or she will help you. Will your attorney complete and submit your paperwork for you, and will he or she be able to attend interviews and court hearings with you? These are important factors in deciding whether you’ve found the right lawyer to help you with your immigration case.
- Are you a better choice than other attorneys? While this question is definitely optional, it can give you a good sense of whether the lawyer you’re talking to is confident that he or she can help you.
Pro tip: The best immigration law firm is multilingual to ensure clients understand exactly what’s going on.
Contact Davis & Associates in Miami Today
While we’re not free immigration lawyers, Davis & Associates is an award-winning immigration law firm in Miami. We’re responsive, sensitive and compassionate to our clients’ unique needs. Our team is multilingual and experienced in family immigration, business visas, green cards, political asylum and deportation proceedings.
Call us at 305-767-2445 right now for a free consultation with an immigration lawyer – we may be able to help you.
About Davis & Associates:
Davis & Associates is the immigration law firm of choice in Miami, FL and surrounding areas. Their attorneys provide expert legal counsel for all aspects of immigration law, including deportation defense, writs of habeas corpus and mandamus, family-sponsored immigration, employment-sponsored immigration, investment immigration, employer compliance, temporary visas for work and college, permanent residence, naturalization, consular visa processing, waivers, and appeals. Attorney Garry L. Davis is Board Certified in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Davis & Associates
Address: 6303 Blue Lagoon Dr #400, Miami, FL 33126
Phone: (786) 805-4810